Campus Resources for Students:
- GCU COVID-19 updates.
- The Office of Student Affairs offers help for Residence Life, Spiritual Life, Student Engagement and Career Resources.
- The Office of Student Care offers counseling services for short-term, solution-focused individual, group and crises; these are currently virtual.
- The Student Disability Services Office provides equal access to all GCU programs, systems and facilities for students with disabilities. The ADA defines a person with a disability as a person who has a physical or mental impairment (e.g. depression or anxiety) that substantially limits one or more major life activity.
Calculus-Based Physics 2: Electricity & Magnetism
Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 I taught teaching Calculus Based Physics 2: Electricity and Magnetism (with some light, waves, & quantum) at Grand Canyon University (GCU) in Phoenix. The first 3 weeks of the Fall 2020 lab were done online through Zoom, and consisted of either my demonstrations with simple conduction paper and low voltages, or online physics simulations. I will be teaching this course again in Fall 2021.
Students were places into groups of 3-5 for the whole semester and given a new type of lab each week to complete (either in person or online). The students turned in a written lab report as a group once a week; this lab report followed a standard format, making it easy for the students to work with and easy for me to grade as an instructor! Dr. Tom McCarthy was my new faculty mentor and was extremely helpful in helping me get acquainted with GCU and the physics labs. He is an awesome person to work with and really knows his stuff!
- Topic 1: Electrostatics
- Lab 1: Coulomb’s Law
- Lab 2: Electric Fields and Equipotential Lines
- Topic 2: Electric Potential and Capacitance
- Lab 3: Charge Density and Capacitance
- Lab 4: Capacitive Circuits
- Topic 3: DC Circuits
- Lab 5: Resistive Circuits
- Lab 6: RC Circuits
- Topic 4: Magnetostatics
- Lab 7: Magnetic Force on a Current-Carrying Wire
- Lab 8: Magnetic Field of a Coil of Wire
- Topic 5: Magnetic Induction and AC Circuits
- Lab 9: Faraday’s Law of Magnetic Induction
- Lab 10: AC Series RLC Circuits Lab Guide
- Topic 6: Electromagnetic Waves and Geometric Optics
- Lab 11: Reflection and Refraction of Light
- Lab 12: Refractor Telescope Designs
- Topic 7: Physical Optics
- Lab 13: Single and Multiple Slit Diffraction